Roundabout at Highway 129 and Lakeview Rd Now Open
An intersection safety improvement project at Highway 129 (Riverside Road) and Lakeview Road near Watsonville has been completed and the recently constructed roundabout opened Friday Dec. 3 to through traffic.
Final roadway striping and a variety of construction punch list items will be addressed over the next weeks, but the roadway and roundabout are now open to the traveling public.
This intersection marks an important transition point from an urban to a rural setting, serves as a major commuter route, and customarily carries significant volumes of truck and freight traffic.
This roundabout will reduce the number and severity of any collisions, reduce delay and idling at this intersection, and will also reduce fuel consumption, emissions, and noise.
Please Note These Tips for Motorists Navigating Roundabouts
When you approach a roundabout:
- Slow down as you approach the intersection.
- Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists crossing the roadway.
- Watch for signs and pavement markings that guide you or prohibit certain movements.
- Enter the roundabout when there is a big enough gap in traffic.
- Drive in a counterclockwise direction. Do not stop or pass other vehicles.
- Use your turn signals when you change lanes or exit the roundabout.
- If you miss your exit, continue around until you return to your exit.
This $3 million project was completed by Dreambuilder Construction of Placentia, CA.
Caltrans reminds motorists to move over and slow down when driving through highway work zones.
For traffic updates on other state highways in Santa Cruz County, travelers may contact Caltrans District 5 Public Affairs at 805-549-3318 or can visit the District 5 website.